In July of 2018, high school students from the Beaumont-Baytown area attended the Lamar University All State Choir Camp. At this camp students learned their All State music, given professional development opportunities, along with getting to meet faculty members and students from Lamar University’s music department. This year, I was selected to be one of the counselors and was the soprano two section leader. The duties of a counselor included (but were not limited to):
- Ensuring every student in their section was present for each event
- Handling any needs of the clinician in their section
- Making sure all campers were in their dorms at night
- Learning the music and singing with campers during rehearsals
- Answering any questions campers had about the music
- Performing for the campers
In total we worked 76 hours in four days (not including days spent planning or setting up). It was an exhausting week, but it was so very rewarding to see the campers’ musicianship grow and watch them create relationships with one another.